by Christine on August 16th, 2010
filed under General Information
Inspirational Blogs of the week:
The following blog posts really resonated with me last week. If you get a chance, check them out:
- You know, I’m keenly interested in the journey that Jen, a Prior Fatgirl, is on. She’s in her weight-maintenance mode, after losing a crapton of weight. However, she’s working hard on making the mental changes needed to make the weight loss permanent. This involves overcoming a lot of disordered eating thoughts. Boy, I can really relate to that. Her post last week was only one of many that have resonated with me. Keep it up Jen. I’m personally invested in seeing how your journey in self-awareness plays out. And you’re helping me learn about myself, as you pose these questions on your blog. Thank you, thank you.
- Dr. Fat talks about the much-needed mental change that needs to happen in order to achieve REAL, long-lasting weight loss. My favorite point? “LOSING WEIGHT WILL NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY. YOU MAKE YOU HAPPY.” I lose sight of that, all too often.
- This is at two-fer. First, MizFit posted about taking compliments. I really, really suck at taking compliments. Most of the time I don’t even hear them. Then, Fab Kate then expounded on this post and talked about how it related to her life and ways that she’s trying to learn how to take a compliment. A great life lesson, and much needed in my life. Thank you, both of you.
- Patrick asked, “We win when….?” This exercise really puts into perspective WHY we’re trying to achieve weight loss. Thanks for that, Patrick.
- Shane reminded me that getting exercise in doesn’t have to involve the (incredibly tiresome) process of getting dressed and going to the gym. How does he get his workout in? He goes to Walmart and walks around the perimeter of the store during his lunchbreak. For some reason, this just stuck me as brilliantly simple. And it’s simple, every-day choices like that that will make Shane a real weight-loss success. Thank you for reminding me of this simple lesson.
- Tracy talks about why losing weight is important to her, including reminiscing about how her weight impacted her ability to take care of herself, enjoy traveling, and experiencing life to its fullest.
- Diane, at Fit to the Finish, talks about the assumptions that we make about skinny people, that it “must be easy” and that they don’t know what it’s like to be fat. Or, assuming that joggers on the street are showing off. But assuming is dangerous. This post reminds me of a previous one I posted here.
- Julie from Lost and Found talks about the mirror on the wall, and how it can sometimes prevent you from looking at your internal qualities. We are more than just mere bodies taking up space in the mirror.
And for things totally non-weight-loss related:
- Mrs. Fatass explains “The Birds and the Bees” to her son after OOPS! Getting caught the night before! God, I love me some Mrs. Fatass. She’s brilliant, and I wish I could approach life with the same humor and intensity that she does every day.
- Candice Gryllis, Animal Whisperer talks about her courage-inspiring hike up a mountain. It’s not what you think, really. I’m a hiker. And a camper. But man, I could really relate to this! HA!