by Christine on June 14th, 2010
As a hobby, I collect autographs. The hobby started when I was in college. I would go to my mailbox, and I wouldn’t find anything — no bills, no letters from home, no care packages, nothing! I devised a way of putting mail in my mailbox: write to celebrities and ask them to send me an autograph or something cool. I tried it out, and lo and behold, it worked! I’ve been collecting autographs “through the mail” for more than 10 years now, and I have literally thousands of autographs!
I always get asked, “What is your favorite autograph?” It’s hard to pick just one, especially since I have so many. However the ones that stand out include:
- A personal letter from Miep Gies (the woman whose family hid Anne Frank). My grandparents are concentration camp survivors, and Ms. Gies wrote me the most amazing letter that really touched my heart.
- John Williams (composer)
- My Star Wars collection. I have a TON of Star Wars autographs, and I have a really neat collage in my living room of them.
- My collection of autographs from famous architects. Many of them drew me photos of their famous buildings, too!
- My collection of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League. (Think, “A League of their own.”) The ladies have been amazing in telling me all about their experiences playing baseball back in an era where women sports-playing was quite taboo!
- I want to be a writer, and I have many author autographs and signed books. I have a great deal of Pulitzer Prize winners, as well as Caldecott and Newberry Award Winner children’s authors/illustrators.
Tonight I spent a great deal of time logging in the autographs that I’ve received in the last two months. I try to log these every month, but I’m a little behind. When I’m done, I price them out. (Theoretically for insurance purposes, but I have yet to actually call the insurance company.) The total for the last two months comes to over $1000! That puts my whole collection at over $27,000! Woohoo!
I don’t know what I’m going to do with these someday. I’ve got so many of them, and they are taking up valuable space in my study. Would anyone out here reading my blog be interested in an AUTOGRAPH GIVEAWAY sometime??