by Christine on February 7th, 2012
Are you stuck in a weight-loss plateau? Were you experiencing some kind of regular weight loss, and now you’ve stalled out? You’re doing everything the same, you’re being consistent, but the weight just isn’t coming off anymore? (If you’re curious about what causes a plateau, including all the hormone changes, read this article from the Mayo Clinic.)
You need a plateau buster! Here are a few plateau-busting tips that will get you into your skinny jeans by summertime!:
- Incorporate high intensity interval training. Read more about that here.
- Drink more water. (And no, caffeinated beverages don’t count!)
- Be sure that you are eating protein at each meal. Looks for choices like egg whites, turkey meat, and whey protein.
- Trade your starchy carbs in for veggies. Replace your servings of bread, rice, pasta, and potato in for dark green veggies.
- Pump some iron! Lifting weights builds muscle, and muscle burns fat more efficiently. So build your muscles up!
- Double-check your portion sizes. Maybe you’ve stalled out because your portions are getting bigger. Remember to measure and weigh everything you eat! You may want to consider recording all your food intake. I personally find this very helpful.
- Mix it up. If it’s not working for you, change it up. Switch up your exercise program and your food regiment. Sometimes your body just needs a kick in the butt when you change life on it.
- Get more sleep!
- Try “calorie cycling.” Let’s say your average calorie intake is 1200 calories. Try consuming 1000 calories one day, 1200 the next, and 1400 the third day, then repeat the cycle.
- Eat slower. You might find you eat a lot less if you just slow down a bit.
- Recharge your motivation. Write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight, buy yourself a dream pair of pants to wear, take photos of yourself, measure yourself, etc. Do whatever you need to do to reinvigorate your commitment to lose weight!